Do you want to lose weight fast? Then you have landed at the right place! We won’t discuss quick-fix tips for weight loss as they will leave you unsatisfied and hungry.
Here you will find tried and tested weight loss methods that actually work to help you lose weight fast but in a sustainable manner.
There is a 3 step approach to lose weight that will:
- Suppress your appetite
- Help you lose weight without getting you hungry
- Improve your metabolic health
So, what are those 3 steps?
1) Reduce the consumption of sugar and starch
It is very important to reduce your intake of sugar and starch.
These foods stimulate insulin secretion and if you don’t know what insulin is, it the hormone needed to convert the carbs in your food to energy or to store it as fat.
As your insulin levels go down, fat can get out of the stores and your body will burn fats instead of carbs. Lowering insulin has other benefits too. It helps your kidneys remove excess sodium and water out of the body.
Cutting carb intake will help you lose around 5 kilos in a week and that includes both body fat and water weight.
Simply put, eliminating the carbs can help lower insulin and suppress your appetite and help you lose weight without leaving you hungry.
2) Eat more protein, fat and veggies
Every meal of your should have protein, fat and low carb veggies. This is an ideal diet plan for weight loss.
This way of eating will bring your carb intake down to 20 to 50 g a day.
For protein, include eggs, fish and meat in your diet. If you are a vegetarian, you can stick to plant based protein like legumes, pulses, beans, lentils and nuts.
Get creative and see what kind of protein-rich food combinations you can make.
Consuming protein boosts metabolism!
You need to fill your plate with lots of low-carb veggies. Cucumber, cabbage, spinach, cauliflower and the like can easily be added in your diet.
Low carb fruits
Stick to low carb fruits. Here is a list of low carb fruits for weight loss:
Consume coconut oil, butter, ghee, nuts and seeds and full-fat dairy to get your quota of healthy fats.
You should not be scared of eating fat as long as it is healthy.
3) Lift weights thrice a week
It is recommended that you lift weights along with following the diet plan for weight loss.
You can go to the gym three to four times a week to do a warm up, lift weights and finally stretch.
Lifting weights can help you burn calories and prevent the body’s metabolism from slowing down.
However, if you can’t lift weights, it is okay. It is not the ‘best exercise to lose weight’.
You can do cardio workouts such as jogging, running, swimming and walking instead.
Counting calories and portion control
Both counting calories and portion control are common tips for weight loss. However, calorie counting is not necessary as long as your carb consumption is low and you are sticking to the above mentioned diet.
Portion control is important as it ensures that you are not going over the top with any particular food. You can maintain an ideal weight by controlling portions.
Top 10 weight loss tips for weight loss
- Your breakfast should contain a lot of protein. This way you will have lesser cravings during the rest of the day and your caloric intake will be in check.
- Say no to sugary beverages and that includes fruit juices. They are really very fattening and you must avoid them at all costs. Eat the whole fruit instead of juicing it.
- Consume soluble fibre as it is one of the best ways to lose belly fat.
- Drink water prior to your meal. It has been found that when you drink a glass of water half an hour before your meals, you will lose weight over a period of time, say 3 months.
- Though there is no such thing as the ‘best food for weight loss’, there are certain foods that can work really well in helping you shed kilos. They include eggs, leafy greens, fish, lean meat, cruciferous veggies, boiled potatoes, beans, legumes, cottage cheese, avocados, nuts, fruits, chia seeds, full-fat yogurt, nuts and coconut oil.
- If you like drinking tea or coffee, please go ahead as the caffeine present in these beverages helps in boosting metabolism.
- Eat unprocessed whole foods and make them the base of your diet. They are filling as well as healthy. When you eat whole foods, the chances are that you will not overeat.
- Chew your food properly and eat slowly. If you eat your food quickly, the chances of gaining more weight are high. When you eat slowly and mindfully, you will feel satiated sooner and will be able to keep weight gain in check.
- Make use of smaller sized plates as they will automatically make you eat less. It may sound weird but it works.
- Ensure that you sleep well as in addition to keeping you healthy it will prevent weight gain. Make your bedroom sleep ready and have a daily bedtime ritual.
In a nutshell
You need to exercise religiously to lose weight and keep an eye on your food intake. The best food for weight loss is low carb food. Practice mindful eating and control portions to see positive changes.
Health benefits of losing weight
The benefits of weight loss don’t stop with being able to get into clothes that were too tight for you a while back. It is all about improving yourself inside-out!
Check out the health benefits of losing weight!
- Losing weight can decrease your bad LDL cholesterol thereby reducing the risk of artery blockage and heart attack!
- Even a little reduction can benefit you. So, for your cardiovascular health, you need to shed those unwanted kilos!
- You will feel good about yourself when people start complimenting your fit looks and reduction in pot belly.
- You can get back into those pair of jeans that didn’t fit you a while back. It makes you feel good and positive about yourself. There is a sense of accomplishment!
- Helps improve mood as you will sleep better than before. Sound sleep can help in keeping irritability and frustration at bay. Sleeping well can also help in keeping your appetite in check and as a result, you will lose more weight. Isn’t that cool?
- Inflammation gets reduced when you lose weight. When inflammation is short-term and acute, it is good as it is a way of responding to injuries.
- However, chronic inflammation can cause diseases like heart disease and stroke. Losing weight will help reduce the inflammation in the body.
- When you lose weight, you are doing a favour to your joints because healthy joints are very important as you age. Too much of weight can put a lot of pressure on your knees and lead to wear and tear of the cartilage.
- Furthermore, you can land up with osteoarthritis too! If you happen to be overweight, reducing even 5 kilos will slash off the likelihood of osteoarthritis by 50%.
Getting weight loss motivation
Your attitude towards weight loss matters the most! Diet and exercise alone won’t work in helping you shed kilos.
Here are some tips to get you on track:
- Make a note of why you want to lose weight – Ask yourself why you want to lose weight. Do you want to look good or do you want to keep illnesses away? Whatever be the reason, just note it down and revisit it often.
- Have health all around – You need to try your best to stock up your fridge with healthy foods. This will keep your temptation to eat junk in check. On the kitchen counter, place a bowl of fruits so that while passing by you grab berries instead of cookies. Keep your treadmill free of clutter and your running shoes in front of your eyes.
- Cease to be a perfectionist – You need to understand that no human is perfect. At times we tend to eat more than usual. An extra slice of brownie or a bowl of dessert is okay. You should not be too harsh on yourself as it can affect your motivation. A weight loss journey is more of a learning process.
- Don’t worry when you hit the weight loss plateau – People panic when they hit the weight loss plateau. You need to be calm and composed. Change the way you are dealing with weight loss and see what works well.
- Renew your commitment each week – If you want to see results, then you need to keep recommitting things to yourself. This strategy really works in gauging your progress and keeping you motivated.
The final word
Weight loss may seem difficult but with proper nutrition, exercise and motivation, you can reach your goal and transform yourself completely.